The Baron von Zarov Files: The Plot Thickens
|Investigate Lord Baldor Varian himself following the disappearance of the body of his recently deceased wife|
- After talking to Lord Varian for the first time during The Baron von Zarov Files: The Case of the Missing Body you will receive a quest update saying he is evasive and definitely hiding something, so you should investigate his house while he is sleeping.
- Return to his house after Elisabetha leaves for the night and Baldor himself goes to bed (after 11pm). Activate the tapestry on the left wall behind the dinner table.
- You will end up in a... pantry of a sorts. Examine everything, be sure to take some Suspicious Meat and linger until you receive a message that you've triggered an alarm. Choose to run.
- Ask around the Mages Guild to find out who can analyze the strange meat.
- Give the meat to Falanu Hlaalu in All Things Alchemical and return the next day after 7pm to talk about her findings. Turns out your suspicions were very much correct...
- You can talk to Elisabetha about her employer, or try to report him to the guards, but this isn't going to do you much good at this stage. Time to follow the other lead and visit Fort Carmala (or proceed the The Baron von Zarov Files: The Case of the Missing Body further to get that lead first).
- Find Lucy inside Fort Carmala and question her. She will again confirm that her husband is not what he seems and point you to Grayrock Cave where you can find further clues.
- Explore Grayrock Cave until you find an open area and a table with some stange-looking potion bottles and a large book. Try to read the book.
- Once again, go ask around the Mages Guild to find out who can help you to translate from an unknowm language.
- Pay a visit to Boderi Farano in the Arcane University. She will ask you to return in a week. You should receive an automatic update when the week passes.
- Good news - Boderi Farano can give you enough proof to arrest Lord Varian properly. Go to Skingrad and talk to any guard, who will direct you to Captain Dion, who in turn will direct you to the Count's steward.
- Wait until the next morning, and you'll receive a message that the guards should be arresting Lord Varian any time now. Go to his house and see Albeci Calleius and some random guards approaching. Wait again until they ask you to lend them a hand. Go inside and deal with "Baldor", who is a spellcasting ogre now.
- Go to the Steward Hal-Liurz for your rewards. While you are there, try to tell her about Baron von Zarov as well. She is unconvinced and demands proof, but allows you to investigate and gives you back the key to Baron's house.
- Go to Baron's house and try to open the secret passage to the sewers - it stopped working, so you have to backtrack through the sewers. Once you do, click on the bottle stands to find the empty, and go down to where the corpses were to receive the last message about the proof mysteriously vanishing.
- Speak to Miaren Girendas to find out she remembers nothing about the Baron or your previous conversation.
- Return to Hal-Liurz and admit your defeat. This officially concludes the quest.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.