Programs and Utilities
The following is a list of commonly used utilities for managing Modified Oblivion.
These are the most commonly used programs and utilities, and all but 7-zip are applications created specifically for managing and using mods with Oblivion.
- 7-zip --File compressor
- Better Oblivion Sorting Software (BOSS) --Automatic load ordering tool
- LAA Patch --Allows Oblivion to use more than 1.8GB of RAM. Warning!!! Recommended only for 64-bit users with more than 3GB of RAM
- Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) --Load Ordering, Mod Instllation, Archive Invalidation
- Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) --Offers extended scripting functionality for Oblivion mods
- Python File Format Interface (PyFFI) --Mesh optimization tool
- TES4Edit --A tool for editing, browsing and comparing plugins' records
- Wrye Bash --The most versatile mod management utility made for Oblivion
- TES4LODGen --Branch off of TES4Edit that let you generate LODLevel of Detail data according to your active mods.
- TES4LL-- Created by Gruftikus that let you generate distant landscape LODLevel of Detail and its corresponding normal map and color map according to your mod lists.
These are applications and utilities made specifically for Oblivion and used by many members of the Oblivion mod community.
- ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated! --Archive Invalidation: BSABethesda Softworks Archive-Redirection (for those who do not use OBMMOblivion Mod Manager or BAINBAsh INstallers)
- The Elder Scrolls Contruction Set (TESCS) --Modify, edit and make plugins; cell rendering; view models and icons
- Face Exchange Lite --Modify your PC's face, hair, name etc. even for an existing save
- Insanity's Oblivion Launcher --Quickly access and launch many essential Oblivion utilities
- Interactive Map of Cyrodiil and Shivering Isles --View all default world map locations, Keep notes of your travels
- Land Magic --Still in the early stages, but resolves land tears created by mod conflicts, useful...
- Oblivion Animation Fixer --Fixes one of the known causes of slow animations, equivalent of Bash's repair abomb
- Oblivion Mod Remover --Uninstall manually installed mods
- Oblivion PyFFI Automator --This tool offers a resume/pause feature and keeps a record of all changes
- Oblivion Save Game Manager --For those users that do not want Wrye Bash but still want advanced save mgmt....
- Oblivion ScreenShot Manager --Tired of those bmps cluttering your Oblivion folder...
- Pluggy --Extension for OBSEOblivion Script Extender
- TES4Files --Mod packaging, BSABethesda Softworks Archive creation, Mod uninstallation
- TES4Gecko --Plugin merging, Plugins comparison, Plugin splitting, Masters list editing
- TES4LODGen --LODLevel of Detail Generator: generates LODs based on the entire current load list
- TESsnip --Low-level plugin editor
- Oblivion Cell Grid Map --block, subblock and cell coordinates. Use TES4Edit to track down the cells.
- Online Oblivion Map --An online interactive (Google) map of Oblivion
These are applications that are commonly used for various purposes related to PC games, from providing compatible codecs to free modelling tools.
- Blender --3D Modeling, animation
- Driver Cleaner --Really cleans up those old drivers
- Game Booster --Facilitates toggling certain, specified background processes
- GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) --Highly complex, free photo editor
- K-Lite Codec Pack --An Oblivion-friendly codec pack, has lots of variety, and can fix FFDShow...
- SetFileDate 2.0 --a file redater utility
- Notepad++ --A free, extremely usefule text editor, with syntax highlighting and the whole bit
- NifSkope --Modeling
- Python File Format Interface (PyFFI) --Binary level file editor (primary Ob use: optimize meshes)
- Paint.NET --A very good free image editor that can be used to edit DDSDirect Draw Surface files.
- Screenshoter --A free screen shot application that supports BMP, JPEG and PNG formats