From TESCOSI --A site dedicated to mod users
An assortment of steps that can be taken to salvage or update existing saves.
- The console command "COC TestingHall" will take you to a separate world space wherein you can find all of vanilla Oblivion's content. There you can test just about anything. Many mods take advantage of this as well. To get out of the testing hall: Use "COC <cell editorID>" to go back to a different location. You can find the cell ID for any cell in TES4Edit, or, in game, use the console command "sdt 0."
- Example: "COC Weye" takes you to village of Weye, which is just outside the Imperial City.
- Example: "COC ChorrolMagesGuild" takes you to the Chorrol Mages Guild.
Updating and Removing Plugins
- Clean save (before updating)
- Follow the Clean Save Procedure.
- Add the updated version of the mod, if updating.
- (COC Testinghall method) Use "COC <cell ID>" to get back to the cell in Tamriel that you want. For example, "COC Weye" will teleport your character to the village of Weye.
- Dummy plugin method (for trying to remove save file dependencies)> This is often the only way to remove ESM dependencies, but it does not always work.
- Copy an empty plugin into the Data folder. Wrye Bash users can copy the empty plugin found in the same folder as the empty Bashed Patch (Oblivion\Mopy\Extras). TES4Edit can also be used to create an empty plugin.
- Move the plugin that needs to be removed out of the Data folder.
- Rename the plugin to match the name of the plugin that needs to be removed.
- Launch the game with the dummy plugin installed (and in the same position in your Load Order.)
>> Note: 1) If you have 'Lock Times' on and leave your Bash window minimized (or out of focus) while replacing the relevant plugin with the dummy plugin, Bash will take care of the Load Order positioning of the dummy file.
- Save and exit.
- Remove the dummy plugin (and uninstall the mod or the plugin that needed to be removed.)
- If applicable, right-click on the save and use any relevant option listed in the "Updated and Repairing Saves" section (below).
Updating and Repairing Saves
- Clean save: see above
- Repair factions: Right-click on the save in Wrye Bash and choose the command from the list of options.
- Repair save file bloat: Right-click on the save in Wrye Bash and choose the command from the list of options.
- Update NPC Levels: Right-click on the save in Wrye Bash and choose the command from the list of options.
- Respawn cells: Move at least two cells away and wait out the cell respawn time (default 72 in game hours) to refresh cells' contents.